Sunday 5 May 2019

Manifesto

In the future for my career, I want to one day work as an in-house designer for a museum or gallery. This mission statement will outline the ways I will eventually get to this stage of work.

After summer I will be moving to Coventry so I plan to get into contact with design studios in and around Coventry, including those in Birmingham and send them pieces of my work to announce my arrival. These will be accompanied by a cover letter which will outline my offer of work. I will be contacting these places early on so I can potentially do several studio visits and build a relationship with the studios. Working in a studio will be good design practice and should improve my general skills and merit.

I will also be contacting three different galleries in and around Coventry, including the Herbert Art Gallery and Musuem in Coventry, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and the Barber Institute of Fine Arts. I will be requesting to volunteer in each of these galleries and I will hopefully secure a volunteering role. This will mean I can build up my knowledge and experience of gallery origination and potentially work my way into meetings with the designers - as I did in my work experience. This should lead to further roles within the design aspects of the galleries, if I am confident with my willingness to help.

Whilst I work, I also plan to build up my portfolio full of relevant gallery and exhibition work. This will give my designs purpose and hone my skills. It will also mean I am constantly posting work which could potentially gain traction. I also plan to conduct collaborations with other creatives in order to push my work and create connections - which should also open doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment