Thursday 2 May 2019

Move to Coventry Next Year - Gallery Research

For my career I want to eventually work as an in-house designer for galleries and because of this I researched galleries in and around Coventry. This included the Herbert Art Gallery and Musuem in Coventry, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and the Barber Institute of Fine Arts. I began thinking about ways I could get in contact with these galleries and show them my design to potentially forge a connection with their design teams.

I decided to make a calendar which would feature art galleries from around the UK and specifically feature these three places. This way the calendar would be placed up and around the galleries as a functional object, and potentially gain some traction. The calendars produced also feature other art galleries which I am interested in so I could potentially send it to these places too.

Originally the calendar was screen-printed in order to cheaply mass produce it. However this process damaged the designs and cause some important detail to be lost. I resolved to print them digitally instead, costing more money but creating a far more professional finish which should be attractive to designers.

The calendars will be send in packs with my business card and a cover letter, announcing my arrival into town. These will be sent out after the deadline so I will have time to produce the calendars and write personal cover letters to each institution.




No comments:

Post a Comment