Saturday 9 February 2019

Time to Get Online - Website Design

6B2/6C2/6D2

https://www.hazelthacker.com/

For the colour scheme of my website, I made the primary colours a soft pink and deep turquoise which are the main colours used in my existing personal branding. I made sure the umbrella pencil logo was placed on the top banner of the website and on the footer. I also spent some time inputting the umbrella as a favicon for the website tabs. This branding is furthered by the use of the statement 'Invest in an umbrella, it's RAINING ideas' - which derived from the word 'brainstorm'. This branding is something I would like to develop and refine later on, but for the purpose of this website it was consistent throughout.




Also on the front page of the website, I have an engaging bio. 'Hazel Thacker: Designer, Illustrator, Brainstormer. Brimming with creative passion and enthusiasm to make your design experience smooth, easy and satisfying.' This is something I will likely change in future, as in some ways it doesn't feel personal enough and it others its seems unintentionally suggestive. However, it still gives an enthusiastic and adaptable impression. Below this some of my best portfolio pieces have been exhibited, allowing the viewer to click on one and be taken to that product's page. Because my work is quite varied at the moment, I decided to divide it into 'exhibition/event design', 'publication design' and 'illustration work' - displayed in pictograms. Clicking on one of these would then lead the viewer immediately to their area of interest, allowing them to have a more tailored experience.

Below this there is an 'about me' section, which explores my practice and interests and experience further without having bombarded the viewer at the top of the page. Then there is my business hours and lines of content. The 'send me a message' feature makes it even easier for individuals to get into contact. The photo next to it gives the impression of being in a creative environment, but also being friendly.





On the website there is also a portfolio tab, which has the same dividing pictograms then leading to the page of interest. Below the 'exhibition/event design' tab is shown, with images that fill the page and can be clicked on for further information. If the cursor rests over the image it reveals the title of the piece, giving more context and creating further interest. Once a product is clicked on, it reveals some intriguing copy, a slideshow of 4 images, then further information about the final design and some more images that could be of interest. This means there is a strong body of information, yet presented in a minimal and palatable way - the design is not overwhelming. There is project pages for 9 pieces of work, since I have three subheadings. This could perhaps be condensed in future so that there is less of divide in attention.




No comments:

Post a Comment