Sunday 13 November 2016

Personal Evaluation OUGD403

From doing these studio tasks I have learnt how much of an impact and influence typography has had on design. I have studied terminology, the characteristics of type and how there are common styles of type for different brands and genres.

I have particularly worked on my skills in kerning. Kerning can indicate the class, budget and trustworthiness of a company- which I will consider when branding in the future. I have realised that every arrangement of letters for a word is individual and it is important that they fit together in order to flow. My INEX design worked well because I experimented with the kerning between the E and the X and was able to understand how they were related to each other.

I have also formulated some skills in letterpress; after our tutorial I experimented with the Italic Caslon typeface. It was interesting to learn new letter type terminology and printing techniques in this process. It also means that in the future I can introduce vintage letter print into my work. I have also improved my skills in Indesign and to an extent, blogger. These skills will help me to present my work to the best possible outcome. Additionally, the tutorials in illustrator have lead me to learn new components and shortcuts I was unaware of- inspiring new ideas and aiding my future design.

From both of my overcomplicated design outcomes I have realised I need to appreciate the merit in having a simple and minimalist final piece. After the second project I realised that my specimen wasn’t tailored enough to the type I was presenting. I added many layers of the type, altering angles, stroke width, size and opacity; overall creating a lot of extra detail for a type that was already complicated enough on its own. Similarly, with my logotype I pushed forward a bold design with an unnecessary circular backdrop which detracted emphasis from the main design. I hope that in future I will be better at creating work with a lot of consideration, not necessarily a lot of content.

Crits have really helped me engage with the class and gain a full, unbiased perspective of my work. I have found that by looking at other people's designs I have broadened my mind to new ideas and possibilities. Being in a room filled with young designers I have found it inspiring and motivating. From discussion I have also picked up new terminology, become aware of important designers and even noticed current design trends. Feedback has also really helped shape my work and I value it well. Additionally, I have become better at articulating how I feel about other people's designs and my justification for it.

Overall, this project has given me a better awareness of type design and how it can be used in future work to compliment and define a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment