Friday 4 May 2018

Wade Guyton Exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery

In January whilst visiting London, a friend and I decided to spontaneously visit the Serpentine gallery in Hyde Park. The gallery was showing an exhibition by Wade Guyton who's work was an eclectic mix of painting and technological processes. I found his process interesting as he purposefully misused processes in order to 'explore the anatomy of digital images'. He used pages torn from catalogues that were printed over again and canvases made ink resistant.

All these processes were incredibly interesting and inspired ideas of process for me. It became clear that by undoing a processes and changing the method a far more experimental and expressive piece can be made.


Many of the pieces were kept in class cabinets, these were rough and worn but showed clear experimentation and interesting technique. It showed that design pieces do not have to be precise - they just need to appear considered.


Another of his pieces was one of a photograph of a kitchen, for some reason this intrigued me quite a bit. The ordinary scene seemed distorted and intriguing, despite its dull colour and subject. This is because of its simplicity and its subtle digitally distorted reproduction.


This reminded me of a printing error made in another project which had an extremely intriguing effect, perhaps this is something I could explore in later work. It's important to remember that sometimes the best pieces of design come from mistakes.


This gallery also lead me to buy several postcards I found these particular pieces intrigued me and by having them up have given me inspiration. I also found a discounted book about George Salter's book jackets, which I found interesting and gave me several ideas for book designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment