Sunday 21 April 2019

Exhibition Visit - Fifity Works by Fifty British Women Artists 1900 -1950

6A2/6B2

This was an exhibition I attended at the The Stanley and Audrey Burton Gallery for some inspiration for a project. Since this was a local feminist exhibition I thought it would be relevant to my own design practice and give me some exposure to exhibition design and co-ordination.

I looked at the gallery catalogue and the aesthetic has been communicated effectively. I analysed this, thinking about what made it successful. By toning the image to have a green hue it allows the title '50 50' to stand out well. Shortening the title was also an effective idea and means the cover is not crowded. It creates a contemporary item that people will likely buy to remind them of the exhibition or to use for reference. The addition of the purple strip is simple but it rounds off the design well, and makes the design consistent with the overall branding. I did find it odd that the same image has been used for both the cover and the back so perhaps it could have been made better if two separate images had been used.



The exhibition branding was shown again through the way the walls have been painted and through the typography used. The information has been laid out in quite a classic and traditional way which reflects the content of the exhibition. I wonder if this could be subverted so that the branding modernises and refreshes the concept of the exhibition. Meaning that the branding could show a more modern feminist style which could be paralleled with the traditional art pieces.


Visiting this exhibition gave me some ideas of how I would design the branding myself and I spent a lot of the time I was there thinking about this. This is something I hope to continue in future so that I can further my eye for gallery design and have critical opinions and ideas which I can offer to future employers - since this is the type of design I would like to go into.

No comments:

Post a Comment