Sunday 24 March 2019

How to Get a Placement - Session 18.1.19

6B2/6D2

Ways of getting in touch:
  • Email
  • Phone - more personal and likely to offer better results as requires more energy/confidence. Best to write a list of topics beforehand.
  • In person - could be achieved by going to events and networking.
  • A letter or package - can be intriguing and a direct example of your creative talent.
  • Invite them to your event or exhibition.
How to make a good first impression:

In order to create an email that designers and employers will take seriously, make sure it is short, sharp and compelling. With a high level of confidence and using phrases such as 'I am' and 'I will' it allows the employer to trust your capability. A clear ask, such as 'I would like to...' can mean it is easier for them to give a response - rather than having to work through a complicated email. Give them a specific time and date too which they can either agree to or rearrange. If there is no response after week follow it up with a second email, use phrases like 'I am eagerly awaiting your response'.

Personality Test

One of the tasks of this session was to take 'The 16 personality types' test, to gauge our strengths and weaknesses and what might be a suitable career for us. My result was 'The Advocate - INFJ - A/T' which was characterised as quiet, mystical and idealistic. Some jobs that could potentially suite this personality type could include:
  • Blogger
  • Illustrator
  • Magazine editor 
  • Set designer 
  • Print maker 
These were all things I have considered for my future, although I have some concerns about their stability as future careers. This will perhaps require more research.

Potential careers with a graphic design degree:


Ones I would like to consider:
  • Junior designer in a studio
  • In house designer
  • Set design
  • Print maker - look up Dizzy Ink, Moo, Newspaper Club
  • Magazine editor
  • Exhibition design
  • Art Director
  • Illustrator
I found this to be a useful part of the session, I am now more aware of the opportunities for graphic design graduates. I would like to do more research on being an 'in house' designer, as I feel this could offer the stability I would like in my future career.  

No comments:

Post a Comment